"Like the rocks that break the waves, Highlanders have weathered many storms. Ancient alliances kept their lands but their owes have come due. They join our war out of obligation but they are not to be underestimated. Their claymore is the heaviest sword ever wielded. It can cut down even the most armored warrior. The elements battering their lands have made them strong. War has made them deadly."
The Highlander is not a typical hard-headed Viking. Ancient alliances and obligations have pulled them into this war, otherwise they would have remained guarding their homelands. They can stay in a defensive posture and stand toe to toe with the fiercest of warriors, weathering the flurry of blows with their claymore... until they see a momentary weakness and then they pounce, displaying their true strength and speed revealed with sweeping strikes and heavy blows. They are never going to be the first to jump into battle, as they will plan each move and always be ready to counter. The mountains have made them hard and resilient; war has made them deadly.
Highlanders have most of their armor covered by their clothes but some scale armor can be seen. They have a fur cape and a metal head band. Their pauldrons and greaves are made of leather and they wear a gray kilt.
Claymore - The heaviest and longest sword on the battlefield. Cuts through armor.
- Though a part of the Viking faction, the Highlander appears to hail from Scotland and only assists the Vikings due to ancient alliances between the two people.
- While the official description says the Claymore is capable of cutting through armor, actual Claymore swords are unable to cut through armor.
- The Claymore in game is inspired by the real life Highland Claymore, a two-handed Scottish sword.
- While the term 'Claymore' is often used to talk about the heavy two-handed sword, 'Claymore' is also the name of a Scottish variant of the Basket-Hilted sword.
- Before Marching Fire, the Highlander alongside the Shaman were the only heroes in For Honor to not have some kind of headgear or mask that obscures their face.
- Description errors:
- Originally, the official website mistakenly said "the Highlander is not a 'head'-headed Viking." This error was fixed afterwards.
- The names of the Highlander's executions and the Gladiator's were switched at release but was corrected later on.
- The phrase, "Dunmaghlas," said by the Highlander when he enters his Offensive Stance, is a Scottish war cry that can be traced back to the Highland Scottish clans.
- "Touch not this cat" is a common motto motif for Highland clans, one of such being the MacGillivray who is mistaken for having the motto of "Touch not the cat but a glove," which actually belongs to multiple clans, such as the Macpherson and Mackintosh.
- Dunmaghlas (also written as "Dunmaglass") also is the name of an estate and multiple chief-castles in Scotland.
- One of the writing staff for the game is a descendant of the MacGillivray.1
- The phrase can be understood as "touch not the cat when its claws are out," or to put it in the context of the Highlander, "Do not try to challenge a Highlander that is ready to fight."
- While the above interpretation of the MacGillivray motto is correct, the battle-cry is not equivalent to a Clan's motto, it's referring to the Clan Seat; the home of the Clan. In this case the actual place Dunmaglass. (A Dun means a fort, the 'maglass' bit is almost certainly an anglicisation of a gaelic word).
- Gaelic: Dunmaghlas! – English: "Touch not the cat but a glove."
- Entering offensive stance
- Icelandic: Kryfja Hann – English: "Crush him."
- Hitting with an offensive heavy
- Icelandic: Til Orusstu – English: "To battle."
- Celtic Curse
- Icelandic: Fjalla Brjótur– English: "Mountain breaker."
- Formorian Kick
- Icelandic: Dauðinn blasir við þér– English: "Death beholds you."
- Caber Toss
- Icelandic: Nú ertu dauður– English: "Now you're dead."
- Intent To Behead Execution
- Icelandic: Kjúklingur á teini– English: "Chicken on a skewer."
- Deep Cut Execution
- Icelandic: Jæja!– English: "Well then."
- Last Stand Emote
- Icelandic: Andskotans djöfull– English: "Bloody hell."
- Insult To Injury Emote
- Icelandic: Dýra bogi– English: "Animal bow."
- Setting bear trap
- Icelandic: Ber er hver að baki nema sér bróður eigi– English: "Bare is your back unless a brother you have."
- Icelandic: Fljúðu– English: "Fly."
- Firing long bow
- Icelandic: Einbeita sér– English: "Focus."
- Second Wind
- Icelandic: Fáum okkur hressingu!– English: "Let's get refreshed!."
- Champion's Aura
- Icelandic: Áfram með ykkur!– English: "Onwards!."
- Heave-Ho Execution
The Highlander is a stoic warrior with exceptional strength and an almost infinite patience. He stands like a rock weathering a furious storm but can strike like lightning when an opening presents itself.
- Difficulty: Hard
- Long Range
- Hard Hitter
- Offensive Form’s unblockable heavy attacks can be infinitely chained
- Offensive Form’s unblockable melee attacks knock opponents around
- Defensive Form’s counter-attacking options allow Highlander to dictate the pace
Trigger to gain movement speed for a short duration.
Passive | Killing soldier grants you health and stamina.
Medium damage trap that stops victims in their tracks.
Allies deal more Damage, soldiers fight faster.
Passive | Gain a temporary buff after a successful attack.
Recover some of your health.
Fire a long bow for moderate damage. (85 dmg)
Raise speed, attack and defense stats for a short duration.
Aerial Attack that deals medium Damage in multiple areas
Throw a projectile creating a fire area of effect.
Gain an aura which heals you and nearby allies
- Renown - Renown is balanced across activities.
- Revenge Mode - Boosts Damage and Health. All Attacks are Uninterruptible. Parry and Throws knock enemies down. Attacks are Auto-Parried on activation.
- Offensive Form and Defensive Form - Highlander's Guard Mode has two forms: Defensive Form has access to Block, Parry, and normal Guardbreak. Offensive Form has access to Unblockable attacks.
- Defensive Form - the Form the Highlander takes normally, focusing primarily on a defensive stance.
- Defensive Form Heavy Attacks - Heavy Attacks have Super Armor.
- Defensive Form Light Openers - Light Opener Attacks have Superior Block.
- Entering Offensive Form - Hold (RMB, RT, R2) to enter Offensive Form. Continue to Hold (RMB, RT, R2) to remain in Offensive Form.
- Attacking while in Offensive Form - While in Offensive Form, you can launch Special Attacks while holding RMB (PC), RT (XB1), R2(PS4).
- Offensive Form Enhanced Light Attack - Offensive Form Light is not interrupted when Blocked. Offensive Form Light can be used to Cancel an Offensive Form Unblockable Heavy.
- Offensive Form Unblockable Heavy - When in Offensive Form, Release RMB (PC), RT (XB1), R2 (PS4) for an Unblockable Heavy Attack. After this attack you will return to Defensive Form if RMB (PC), RT (XB1), R2 (PS4) is not held.
- Fast Flow to Offensive Form - Hold RMB (PC), RT (XB1), R2 (PS4) after a Parry, Guardbreak Throw, or after any Attack other than Defensive Form's Chain Finisher.
- Exiting Offensive Form - Press E (PC), B (XB1), O (PS4) to return to Defensive Form. Suffering a hit will also cause you to return to Defensive Form. After an Attack in Offensive form, you return to Defensive Form if you do not hold RMB (PC), RT (XB1), R2 (PS4).
- Zone Attack - Cancel Zone Attack after the first or second Attack with E (PC), B (XB1), O (PS4). Cannot fast flow to Offensive Form.
- Sprint Attack - Cancel Sprint Attack after the first Attack with E (PC), B (XB1), O (PS4). Cannot fast flow to Offensive Form.
- Celtic Curse Cancels - Cancel from Celtic Curse into a left or right heavy attack.
- Celtic Curse Chain Starters - Celtic Curse and Celtic Curse Cancels can be used to initiate chains as a heavy attack starter.
- Celtic Curse Cancel - Fast Flow - Celtic Curse can be canceled by fast flowing into Offensive Form.
(From Guard Mode)
|Armor Styles||Weapon Styles|
|Knights||Warden - Conqueror - Peacekeeper - Lawbringer - Centurion - Gladiator|
|Samurai||Kensei - Shugoki - Orochi - Nobushi - Shinobi - Aramusha|
|Vikings||Raider - Warlord - Berserker - Valkyrie - Highlander - Shaman|
|Wu Lin||Tiandi - Jiang Jun - Nuxia - Shaolin|