"Every army needs warriors whose specialty is victory. Kensei-sword saints: the guardians of our people. Every great ruler since the fall has trained as a sword saint... every one. And they are formidable. The nodachi was long thought too long too large for use in real war. They proved them wrong. Their armor is the strongest of our people... as is their will."
The living incarnations of Bushidō, the samurai way of the warrior, or as close as one can get. Masters of multiple martial arts, they are trained from infancy to fight and die for their emperor or their fellow samurai without asking why. Kensei wear heavy armor and fight with the nodachi, a longer version of the katana that cleaves enemies in a few elegant and powerful strikes. Kensei spend their lives fighting and training as they strive to attain a level of perfection few other warriors can ever hope to achieve.
The Kensei wears a lacquered wooden cuirass with the face of a dragon molded on the front and a gray sleeveless coat on top of this. A katana and wakizashi can be seen sheathed at his waist under his obi sash.
The Kensei can always be easily identified thanks to their massive sode that hang off their shoulders. Their kabuto has a crescent crest at its front. Their face mask is known as Menpõ. It is constructed from iron and/or leather, and covers the face from the nose to the chin. The Kensei's Menpõ, in particular, is red with a lacquered finish and features a mustache, a soul patch and fierce teeth, meant to serve as both protection and an effective method of intimidation against foes.
Nodachi - The nodachi is longer than the classic katana. It was initially designed to be used by a foot soldier to kill the horse of cavalry. Kensei samurai of the Dawn Empire have the strength and necessary skills to use them as effectively as katanas.
- Kensei literally translates to sword saint or sword master.
- The Kensei's armor hails from the earlier Samurai periods, wearing a kozane curiass and massive sode.
- Though the Kensei's armor is made of wood, historical Samurai never wore wood armor. All accounts of Japanese wood armor predated the Samurai.
- Realistically, the Kensei's Menpo mask would prevent them from moving their mouth and thus render them incapable of speech; however, this is not the case in this game.
- As battlefield weapons, nodachi could not be carried on their waists like normal swords as they were too long to be drawn or sheathed and often had to simply be carried by hand.
- This can be seen with the Kensei when sprinting they hold their nodachi to the side as opposed to other classes like the Orochi or Warden, who sprint with their swords sheathed.
- In real life, nodachi is more often used as ceremonial items than as practical weapons, due to difficulty in crafting one and few have the necessary strength and skill to wield one.
- While the game lists Kensei as an easy character, the website lists him as a medium. This is possibly due to the Kensei being listed as medium during testing, changed for the final game, and the website has yet to be updated.
- Japanese: 尋常に勝負 (Jinjyo ni shoubu) - English: "Let's have an honourable showdown!"
- Male Kensei, Top heavy unblockable finisher
- Japanese: これで終いだ (Korede shimaida) - English: "This will be the end!"
- Male Kensei, Side heavy finisher
- Female Kensei, Top heavy unblockable finisher
- Japanese: 死ね (Shi-ne) - English: "Die!"
- Female Kensei, Side heavy finisher
- Japanese: まだまだ (Mada mada) - English: "Not good enough!"
Kensei are balanced samurai armed with nodachi. They are slower than other units but have longer melee range. They provide interesting defensive abilities and deliver devastating attacks.
- Difficulty: Easy
- Adaptable Fighting Style
- Good Melee Range
- High Heavy Attacks are Unblockable
- Many Maneuvers and Attacks Initiate Chain Attacks
Passive | Stamina regenerates faster.Unlocked at level 1
Passive | Killing soldier grants you health and stamina.Unlocked at level 5
Passive | You can still sprint when out of stamina.Unlocked at level 13
Allies deal more Damage, soldiers fight faster.Unlocked at level 1
Throw a smoke bomb on the ground that breaks the lock.Unlocked at level 7
Nearby enemies have lower attack and defense.
Unlocked at level 15
Recover some of your health.Unlocked at level 1
Fire a long bow for moderate damage. (85 dmg)Unlocked at level 9
Gain immunity from throw attempts for a short duration.Unlocked at level 17
Aerial attack that deals medium damage in multiple areas.Unlocked at level 1
Nearby allies continuously regain health.Unlocked at level 11
Your attacks can not be blocked for a short duration.Unlocked at level 19
- Renown - Earn more Renown in outnumbered fights, by controlling objectives, and by killing enemy soldiers to unlock your feats in a match.
- Revenge Mode - Boosts Damage and Health. All Attacks are Uninterruptible. Parry and Throws knock enemies down. Attacks are Auto-Parried on activation.
- Chain Starters - Helm Splitter, Swift Strike and a Guardbreak can initiate chains.
- Throw Into a Chain Finisher - Any Throw can be followed up by any Chain Finisher.
- Top Heavy Finisher Unblockable - Finish any Chain with a Top Heavy for an Unblockable Attack.
- Top Heavy Finisher Cancel - Top Heavy Finisher Startup can be cancelled by: A Side Light Attack or A Side Heavy Attack for an Uninterruptible Side Heavy Finisher.
- Zone Attack - Cancel Zone Attack after the first Attack with B (XB1).
(From Guard Mode)
|Evisceration||Insert New Spine|
|No Look Kill|
Passive Stance Edit
|Blessed Glory||Witness Me!||I Quit|
Fighting Stance Edit
|In The Wind||Wipe Blade||Arm and Armed|
|You Die||You, Come Over Here||Throwdown|
|Knights||Warden - Conqueror - Peacekeeper - Lawbringer - Centurion - Gladiator|
|Samurai||Kensei - Shugoki - Orochi - Nobushi - Shinobi - Aramusha|
|Vikings||Raider - Warlord - Berserker - Valkyrie - Highlander - Shaman|