"We are far from home, we samurai. Each new land teaches us new things. Each new ally makes us stronger. The shugoki: once our guardians, they have become as family. And what more fierce protectors could we ask for? The kanabo is an unreasonable weapon; clumsy, dangerous... unless you possess the strength of a demon and an unbreakable will."
The Shugoki appear slow and cumbersome. Don’t let that fool you -- they possess the strength of a demon and an unbreakable will. It takes incredible fortitude to be the guardians of your people. You must defend them at all costs and put their needs above your own. This has never been an issue for the Shugoki. Their weapon of choice seems unwieldy. But in their hands, it is as deadly and precise as any blade. 
The Shugoki wears massive wooden plates protecting his torso and arms. An obi sash around his waist holds the garments together. Unlike their comrades, he only wears a hakama with cloth and leather straps attached, with no noticeable shirt or torso garment under their wooden plates.
The Shugoki do not wear a kabuto but instead wear a somen mask that gives him the face of an oni, a Japanese demon with the superhuman strength to wield the kanabo with ease. The somen is typically accompanied by a cloth neckguard and a topknot in various styles.
Kanabo - This traditional club takes a powerful, but also skilled warrior to wield it correctly, even more than the nodachi. It can deliver a crippling blow with every hit, but its weight tends to leave the user open for counter-attacks if it misses.
- Unlike the Kensei and Orochi, the mask the Shugoki wears is not a mempo, which covers the face from nose to chin, but a somen, which covers the entire face.
- Shugoki (Kanji: 守護鬼) literally translates to 'guardian demon' in Japanese.
- The Shugoki is the only heavy hero in the game so far to not carry a shield. This can be justified by the fact that his strongest defense is his immense health pool.
- The Shugoki's entire design revolves around the Oni, having the stature of one, wearing a mask with the face of an Oni and carrying a kanabo, which is a weapon associated with the Oni.
- Coincidentally, the name "Oni" was the original name of the Orochi prior to the release of the game.
- Shugoki is the only hero whose walking animation is the same as his free roam animation.
- Japanese: 潔く死ね (Isagiyoku shine) - English: "Accept it and die!"
- Demon's embrace
- Japanese: 我が手中にあり (Waga shuchuu ni ari) - English: "It's in my hands."
- Charging heavy attack
- Demon's embrace from critical health
- Japanese: ぬるいわ (Nuruiwa) - English: "Weak."
- Hit while in uninterruptible stance
- Japanese: 甘い (Amai) - English: "Naive!"
- Hit while in uninterruptible stance
The Shugokis are the disruptor Tank. They absorb a lot of hits thanks to their high health and passive uninterruptible stance which allows a bit more freedom while attacking. He's excellent at dealing with crowds with his massive kanabo, but he's very slow, both in movement and attack.
- Difficulty: Easy
- Disabler fighting style
- Hard hitter
- Passive uninterruptible stance
- Charging heavy attacks
- Light attacks not interruptible
Passive | Rapidly revive fallen teammatesUnlocked at level 1
Passive | You can still Sprint when Out of StaminaUnlocked at level 5
Passive | Throw enemies fartherUnlocked at level 13
Passive | You cannot be stumbled or unbalanced by Parries and ThrowsUnlocked at level 1
Throw a smoke bomb on the ground that breaks the lockUnlocked at level 7
You're slowed and gain high Damage reductionUnlocked at level 15
Passive | Deal Damage on Blocked AttacksUnlocked at level 1
Fire a long bow for moderate Damage (85 dmg)Unlocked at level 9
|Hard to Kill
Passive | Losing Health increases your Damage reductionUnlocked at level 17
Heavy Attacks cause enemies to fallUnlocked at level 1
Aerial Attack that deals medium Damage in multiple areasUnlocked at level 11
Passive | Regenerate your Health when out of combatUnlocked at level 19
- Renown - Earn more Renown by assisting or saving Heroes, and defending objectives to unlock your feats in a match.
- Revenge Mode - Boosts Damage and Health. All Attacks are Uninterruptible. Parry and Throws knock enemies down. Attacks are Auto-Parried on activation.
- Passive Uninterruptible Stance - Has a permanent Uninterruptible Stance. The Stance is consumed if Shugoki gets hit or Guardbreaked. When the Stance is consumed, Shugoki takes more Damage.
- Uninterruptible Stance recovery - Passive Uninterruptible Stance effect regenerates after a few seconds. It takes longer when out of Stamina, on hits or blocking.
(From Guard Mode)
|Armor Styles||Weapon Styles|
|Knights||Warden - Conqueror - Peacekeeper - Lawbringer - Centurion - Gladiator|
|Samurai||Kensei - Shugoki - Orochi - Nobushi - Shinobi - Aramusha|
|Vikings||Raider - Warlord - Berserker - Valkyrie - Highlander - Shaman|
|Wu Lin||Tiandi - Jiang Jun - Nuxia - Shaolin|