"We are far from home, we samurai. Each new land teaches us new things. Each new ally makes us stronger. The shugoki: once our guardians, they have become as family. And what more fierce protectors could we ask for? The kanabo is an unreasonable weapon; clumsy, dangerous... unless you possess the strength of a demon and an unbreakable will."
The Shugoki appear slow and cumbersome. Don’t let that fool you -- they possess the strength of a giant and an indomitable will. It takes incredible fortitude to be the guardians of your people. You must defend them at all costs and put their needs above your own. This has never been an issue for the Shugoki. Their weapon of choice seems unwieldy. But in their hands, it is as deadly and precise as any blade.
The Shugoki wears massive wooden plates protecting his torso and arms. An obi sash around his waist holds the garments together. Unlike their comrades, he only wears a hakama with cloth and leather straps attached, with no noticeable shirt or torso garment under their wooden plates.
The Shugoki does not wear a kabuto but instead wears a somen mask that gives him the face of an oni, a Japanese demon with the superhuman strength to wield the kanabo with ease. The somen is typically accompanied by a cloth neckguard and a topknot in various styles.
Kanabo - This traditional club takes a powerful, but also skilled warrior to wield it correctly, even more than the nodachi. It can deliver a crippling blow with every hit, but its weight tends to leave the user open for counter-attacks if it misses.
- Unlike the Kensei and Orochi, the mask the Shugoki wears is not a mempo, which covers the face from nose to chin, but a somen, which covers the entire face.
- Shugoki (Kanji: 守護鬼) literally translates to 'guardian demon' in Japanese.
- The Shugoki is the largest hero in the game, even taller than the Lawbringer. He also has the largest natural health pool at 160, only outclassed when another Hero uses feats such as Tough as Nails.
- The Shugoki's entire design revolves around the Oni, having the stature of one, wearing a mask with the face of an Oni and carrying a kanabo, which is a weapon associated with the Oni.
- Coincidentally, the name "Oni" was the original name of the Orochi prior to the release of the game.
- The design of the kanabo is also likely inspired by Japanese folklore of the Oni. Whereas the kanabo is actual warfare as much more slim, akin to a bat, those seen used by an Oni had the shaft much more enlarged to reflect the immense strength they had to be able to wield the more exaggerated weapon.
- Shugoki is the only hero whose walking animation is the same as his free roam animation, likely due to his walking speed being only a bit slower than that of his walking free roam.
- "One Inch Punch" is a reference to the famous martial arts move, made famous by Bruce Lee. It is intended to be a practice exercise, but has become popularized more as a special move in pop media.
- "Shugoki Smash!" is likely a reference to the Hulk, who is known for his popular shout, "Hulk! Smash!"
- "Kimarite" refers to the Sumo term for "finishing blow." This reference to Sumo is clear in the use of the harite (slap strike) together with the ritualistic stomping.
- Japanese: 潔く死ね (Isagiyoku shine) - English: "Prudently die!" or "Accept your death!"
- Successful Demon's embrace
- Japanese: 我が手中にあり (Waga shuchuu ni ari) - English: "It's within my hands."
- Charging Heavy Attack, Canceled Heavy Attack
The Shugokis are the disruptor Tank. They absorb a lot of hits thanks to their high health and passive uninterruptible stance which allows a bit more freedom while attacking. He's excellent at dealing with crowds with his massive kanabo, but he's very slow, both in movement and attack.
- Difficulty: Easy
- Disabler fighting style
- Hard hitter
- Passive uninterruptible stance
- Charging heavy attacks
- Light attacks not interruptible
Passive | Rapidly revive fallen teammatesUnlocked at level 1
Passive | You can still Sprint when Out of StaminaUnlocked at level 5
Passive | Throw enemies fartherUnlocked at level 13
Passive | You cannot be stumbled or unbalanced by Parries and ThrowsUnlocked at level 1
Throw a smoke bomb on the ground that breaks the lockUnlocked at level 7
You're slowed and gain high Damage reductionUnlocked at level 15
Passive | Deal Damage on Blocked AttacksUnlocked at level 1
Fire a long bow for moderate Damage (85 dmg)Unlocked at level 9
|Hard to Kill
Passive | Losing Health increases your Damage reductionUnlocked at level 17
Heavy Attacks cause enemies to fallUnlocked at level 1
Aerial Attack that deals medium Damage in multiple areasUnlocked at level 11
Passive | Regenerate your Health when out of combatUnlocked at level 19
- Renown - Earn more Renown by assisting or saving Heroes, and defending objectives to unlock your feats in a match.
- Revenge Mode - Boosts Damage and Health. All Attacks are Uninterruptible. Parry and Throws knock enemies down. Attacks are Auto-Parried on activation.
- Passive Uninterruptible Stance - Has a permanent Uninterruptible Stance. The Stance is consumed if Shugoki gets hit or Guardbreaked. When the Stance is consumed, Shugoki takes more Damage (~25%). It is visible hen Shugoki does not have his stance, as his body has a dark visual hue as an indication.
- Uninterruptible Stance recovery - Passive Uninterruptible Stance effect regenerates after around four seconds. Recovery is briefly delayed while block or upon being hit, and cannot recover the stance at all when out of stamina.
- Enhanced Lights - Light Attacks are not interrupted if blocked. Does not apply when blocked by a Superior Block.
- Charging Heavy Attack - The Charging Heavy Attack has to be fully charged to be initiated. If the attack is only partially charged, Shugoki will initiate a normal Heavy Attack.
- Demon's Embrace - A successful Demon's Embrace heals Shugoki for 35 health, but consumes 55 health if it misses. Demon's Embrace cannot drop Shugoki's health below 1.
- Demon's Embrace in Critical State - Performing a successful Demon's Embrace when Shugoki's health is in a critical state (at or under 25 health), Demon's Embrace will execute the target and enhance the heal to 90.
- Heavy Attack Cancel - Heavy attacks can be cancelled into Demon's Embrace during the startup.
- Charge of the Oni - Charge of the Oni can be canceled early by pressing the respective button midway.
- Zone Attack - Zone Attack can be canceled after the first swing.
(From Guard Mode)
|Armor Styles||Weapon Styles|
|Knights||Warden - Conqueror - Peacekeeper - Lawbringer - Centurion - Gladiator|
|Samurai||Kensei - Shugoki - Orochi - Nobushi - Shinobi - Aramusha|
|Vikings||Raider - Warlord - Berserker - Valkyrie - Highlander - Shaman|
|Wu Lin||Tiandi - Jiang Jun - Nuxia - Shaolin|