Most well-rounded of all types. They're good at everything but don't excel in anything. Very good heroes to start with since they're very balanced. This does not mean they're not adapted for advanced play, though; some of the best players in the live periods play with Vanguard heroes.
Very good picks for Dominion because they're efficient in all key aspects of the mode: killing soldiers on the front line, dueling enemy heroes, and capturing and defending zones. In Dominion mode, Vanguards score the most Renown points by:
- Capturing a zone.
- Killing Soldiers.
- Reviving teammates.
All three Vanguard heroes have efficient moves to reposition opponents
- The Warden's shoulder charge.
- The Raider's throw.
- The Kensei's guard break. Short distance, but very quick and can open to deadly three-hit chains.
Four feats are common to all Vanguard heroes
- Body Count (Level 1, passive). Regain health and stamina when killing soldiers.
- Inspire (Level 2, active). Boosts allies and adds the aggressive status effect on soldiers.
- Focus (Level 3, active). Gives back a portion of the heroes' health.
- Stalwart Banner (Level 4, active). Drops a healing zone on the ground
The Vanguard heroes in For Honor are:
- The Wardens are the embodiment of the noble knights, wielding their impressive longsword which offers a balance between offense and defense. While their fighting style is simple and straightforward, they should still not be underestimated as they are as adaptable as the other Vanguards.
- The Raiders embody the spirit of the Vikings as they wade into battle with their great Dane axe. They are faceted with disruptive attacks as they dish out high amounts of damage. Above all, their throw is the most impressive among all Heroes as they carry forward their foe on their shoulder.
- The Kensei are the living incarnation of the Bushidō, the samurai way of the warrior. Armed with the long Nodachi, they have a longer melee range than the other Vanguards. Although a bit slow, if they adequately wait patiently in their intriguing defensive stance, they can chain together devastating sets of powerful strikes at opportune moments.