Wood, Iron, and Steel is the third mission in the Viking Story Campaign. In this mission, the Vikings have now united under one banner. That of the Warborn. Stigandr, a Warlord who had been captured by Siv the Ruthless , was set free by The Raider . Stigandr has become jarl, and leads the Vikings in an attempt to take back a shipyard in Valkenheim, stolen and guarded by the Blackstone Legion. There are five Observables and five Breakables to be found.
The Vikings united, and so quickly. Now they turn their attention to us. I left some of my Blackstones in control of their shipyards at Valkenheim. Stigandr, their new jarl, set out to take them from us. - Apollyon
Stigandr: We would need ships, and I have been out of action for long enough.
Stigandr is alone on a downhill path leading to the shipyard. The first objective is to reach the side entrance. As the player makes their way down the hill, they will be met with opposition. After defeating the enemy, enter the shipyard. Stigandr will comment that the Blackstones have done a poor job of fortifying their (the Viking's) defenses after hearing Julius shout" VIKING! RAISE THE ALARM!". The objective will change to 'Open the gate'. The player will need to fight several groups of enemies before reaching the gate controls. Watch for Fire Flask Pick-ups, Observables, and Breakables in the area. The path will lead inside a sawmill type building where the player will go up against a Conqueror. The large sawmill blade is turning and should be considered a hazard.
Once Stigandr has defeated the Conqueror, leave through a side door and engage a group of enemies, including another Conqueror. The player will want to use the Warlord's multi-side guard stance to mitigate damage. Continue to fight your way through the Knight forces until the gate control is reached. The player will probably notice an interactive ballista but it is not needed until after the gate is open.
Once the gate is open, the Viking clan warriors will enter the compound and Stigandr will comment about needing to get to the ballista. Once the player has reached it, use it to take out any (and every) marked enemy. Ignore any that are not marked. This is a timed event so use the time wisely. Extra time spent having to reload can cause the mission to fail.
The final objective is to kill the commanding Knight Warden, Julius Salavander. Apparently, he can't swim, so knocking him into the water is probably the quickest way to be rid of him. As soon as the Warden is defeated, a cutscene takes place.
- Dragon Prow: "The Vikings like to tell stories about why they decorate their ships with monsters. But, the simpliest explanation is the best one: they do it to frighten their enemies."
- Broken Down Yards: "The Vikings have built up their settlements and shipyards over decades. Centuries. It took a little more than a year for it all to fall in to disrepar."
- Saw Mill: "Once the Blackstones were pushed out of Valkenheim, the Vikings would put their shipmills and their lumber mills back to work. And then, they would need a target."
- Runes Around the Tower: "The runes of the Vikings and our own letters must have a common ancestor. The difference is that ours may drawn with a quill, where as theirs only require a chisel."
- Three Shields: "Viking clans do not truly 'join' one another. Alliances are common, but just as commonly broken. The Warborn clans is just a way of saying 'all the clans who cannot beat the warborn in combat'."